The presence of mold in your shower is unsightly. Its spores travel through the air and reproduce in 24 to 48 hours. You’ll most likely encounter mold in areas with too much moisture, such as bathrooms – a perfect breeding ground for them to grow. It is best to hire a professional plumber for your pipe and drain bathroom problems.
Unlike mildew, mold is a fungus that penetrates porous materials such as tiles or dark spots along walls. It is bad for our health, especially for those with compromised immunity. You should remove signs of mold in your bathroom and shower. But first, you should understand different kinds of mold and how to get rid of them.
Types of mold
There are three classifications of molds, and these are:
- Toxigenic – a dangerous and deadly type of mold that can also be found in bathrooms.
- Pathogenic – molds that are harmful to people with compromised health
- Allergenic – causes allergic reactions
Unfortunately, it can be challenging to tell apart different types of mold. You can get mold samples to determine the exact kind of molds you see in the bathroom. All molds are harmful and should be removed as soon as possible.
How to get rid of molds in your bathroom
Make sure to remove all traces of mold in your bathroom, no matter what kind of mold it is. Here are tips to get rid of mildew in your bathroom.
Use a cleanser or natural products specially made for mold.
Bleach is often used to get rid of mold and mildew in the bathroom. However, it could only remove mold stains and surface mold but not kill the fungus. Instead of bleach or any other commercial detergent, you can use a 1:1 combination of white vinegar or water and hydrogen peroxide.
- Spray the affected areas with the cleaning agent. Make sure to keep it soaked in the molded surface.
- Let it sit for at least 20 minutes to an hour.
- Rinse with clean water and wipe with a clean towel or cloth.
- Scrub the remaining stained areas using bleach, then rinse and wipe.
- Finally, spray with white vinegar and let it sit until it dries. White vinegar helps prevent mold growth.
Remove mold from your shower head.
Here’s how you should clean your showerhead:
- Mix a 1:1 solution of white vinegar and water in a plastic bag.
- Put the shower head inside the bag and seal it carefully using a rubber band.
- Let it soak overnight. The next day, your showerhead will be like brand-new!
Keep mold away from your bathroom.
These tips should help you keep mold from forming in your bathroom ever again:
- Open a window or turn on an exhaust fan when showering.
- Clean your bathroom regularly, at least once a week.
- Don’t leave wet towels inside the bathroom. Let it air dry outside instead.
- Change your air filters regularly.
Fix leaks and pipe problems when you see them. Contact a professional plumber in Mt. Pleasant, TN, for your plumbing repair needs.